Header Message

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Michael 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
L
Participant

Hi,

first and foremost I’m writing this not to insult anyone but because I hope this could do MUCH better.
Back in September I started to write a small mips32 emulator as a side project. Back then I picked the architecture because it seemed relatively easy to grasp, I still had a basic understanding from my old assembler classes and I read it should be open sourced – so I gave it a go.
It threw me back a little that someone had to approve of my download request, as I thought open source would mean open to the public and not the subset of public we like, but hey I didn’t mind and fill out my application.
After not hearing anything about this I wrote an email about it to info@mipsopen.com on October 2nd, to which I still haven’t received a reply until now.
Looking through this forum I feel like I wasn’t the only one who got this treatment, so I figured I’ll just wait a bit and things might settle, however coming back to it now I believe it took a turn for the worse; no matter where I log in, I will always get redirected to https://www.mipsopen.com/resources/download/. As far as I can remember this site used to look more or less complete with different links for different things, however now there’s one textual link to the GNU toolchain – cool, but not the specification I was hoping for. Too bad now that the thing I was after, the architecture documentation, as promised on https://www.mipsopen.com/mips-open-components/mips32-architecture/, redirects to something completely else!

So to sum it up, back when there was the method of applying I never heard anything back from it, and now even this is gone. This is not what I would consider “open”, but feel free to prove me wrong

M
Participant

Agreed, this initiative does look like it’s not being taken seriously at all.
I’ve experienced the broken links and general feel that open-sourcing the ISA was a rushed decision that MIPS now regret and are hoping to let it die.
It’s a shame because I really liked the processor when I used it in a previous job and now I’m in a position to adopt it in a new design, I find I can’t.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.