Header Message

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Zhongzheng 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Z
Participant

Hi~

I have a question:

I have downloaded the tool-chain following the link: https://codescape.mips.com/components/toolchain/2018.09-03/downloads.html
and the files I downloaded are: Codescape.GNU.Tools.Package.2018.09-03.for.MIPS.MTI.Bare.Metal.Windows.x86.tar and Codescape.GNU.Tools.Package.2018.09-03.for.MIPS.MTI.Linux.Windows.x86.tar. (my PC is a Windows based 64bit machine)

Can I ask how to install these two toolchains? Should I put the extract file to the file path: C:\Program Files\Imagination Technologies\Toolchains? (the default path when installing the OpenOCD)

Thank you very much!

Hello,

For the FPGA package you only really need the mips-mti-elf package. Since you are running on an 64 bit windows, the package you need to download is the X64 version:
Codescape.GNU.Tools.Package.2018.09-03.for.MIPS.MTI.Bare.Metal.Windows.x86_64.tar.gz

All of the packages will install in the Program Files\Imagination Technologies\ directory by default. You can move it to another directory is you wish.
when unpacked they will exist in the c:\Program Files\\ as separate directories: OpenOCD-0.10.0.0-img and Toolchains/mips-mti-elf

Hopefully the scripts will set the appropriate environment variables for you. You can confirm by checking your Environment Variables window the values of the following:
MIPS_ELF_ROOT C:\PROGRA~1\/Toolchains/mips-mti-elf/ < version number>
Path should include the C:\PROGRA~1\
\OpenOCD-0.10.0.0-img\bin;C:\PROGRA~1\\Toolchains\mips-mti-elf/\bin;…

In the getting started package you may need to edit some of the scripts to verify you are pointing to the correct directories for the tools and the OpenOCD executables.

Z
Participant

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you very much for your help!

I have checked the environment variables, actually, the version is 2016.05-03. I just change the version in the environment variables with 2018.09-03.

The file Codescape.GNU.Tools.Package.2018.09-03.for.MIPS.MTI.Bare.Metal.Windows.x86_64.tar.gz is a “.tar.gz” file. I can use WinRAR to extract it. And the extracted files are in a folder named “mips-mti-elf”, as is shown in attachments.

The default installation path is C:\Program Files\Imagination Technologies\Toolchains. In this case, Am I correct, if I move the extracted folder to this directory? as is shown in attachments as well. If this is not correct, could you please give me some hints on how I can install “.tar.gz” file on a Windows machine?

Sincerely thank you very much! and Really thank you for your help!

Best Regards,
Zhongzheng Wang

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.
Z
Participant

in addition, I think windows originally has no command “make”. But I remember two years ago, when I tried to test the GSG package, there was no any problems….when I tried to compile the program….I didn’t explore this deeper that time, so I feel confused now…I sorry…Could you give me some hints on this as well??

Thank you very much!

Z
Participant

Hi~

I think I should extract the files under the directory: C:\Program Files\Imagination Technologies\Toolchains

I try to use the command “make”, as the GSG’s instruction. but the cmd window shows there is no such command…as is shown in attachments..

I also checked the environmental variables, they are shown in attachments as well:

I also checked the environmental variables and path in my old computer(windows 7 OS), which is the one that I used two years ago. The command “make” works well in my old computer. The environmental variables in my new computer(windows 10 OS) are same as the ones in my old computer, except for the version information…I have changed the version information but this time it doesn’t work…

Really thank you very much if you could help on this.

Best Regards,
Zhongzheng Wang

Attachments:

Hi,

A quick check on Google shows several utilities that can unpack tar.gz files. winzip and 7-zip seem to be the leading contenders.
If you have access to a Linux machine, you can unpack it there that find a means of transferring it to your windows machine.

Z
Participant

Hi,

A quick check on Google shows several utilities that can unpack tar.gz files. winzip and 7-zip seem to be the leading contenders.
If you have access to a Linux machine, you can unpack it there that find a means of transferring it to your windows machine.

Thank you very much! I have solve this problem. I used WinRAR to unpack the file and put them under the directory. But how about the command “make”, as shown in last question…

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,
Zhongzheng Wang

Hi Zhongzheng,

I apologize for the confusion caused by our installer program. The installer for OpenOCD that is in the MIPS Open FPGA Getting Started package attempts to install the old, original, version 1.4 of the MIPS SDK. However, that version is no longer available. So that is why you need to “uncheck” the box in the OpenOCD installer to prevent it from attempting to install this old SDK.

You have downloaded and unpacked the tarball containing the current MIPS Toolchain. This is (almost) the only piece of the MIPS SDK needed to build the programs included with MIPS Open. But the one other thing you need is a “make” command, which is not provided as part of the MIPS Toolchain tarball.

As you have already figured out, the Windows operating system does not include a “make” command. The reason that you have a make command on your Windows 7 machine is (most likely) because the old MIPS SDK installer provided one for you. This make command can be found here:

C:\Program Files\Imagination Technologies\Internals\msys\bin

I think that you can just copy that directory from your Windows 7 machine to your Windows 10 machine. Then add that directory to your path. It should give you the make command that you need. If this does not work, then you can find the MSYS package on the internet and install it for free. It will provide the make command that you need.

Another point that needs more explanation: The OpenOCD installer creates the following folder:

C:\Program Files\Imagination Technologies\Toolchains\mips-mti-elf\2016.05-03\share\mips\addons\libfdc

The OpenOCD installer does not install the entire toolchain, just the above folder. The installer was relying on the fact that the MIPS SDK installer would later install the rest of the toolchain files into the above location. But you don’t need to use the old 2016.05-03 toolchain, you can use the current toolchain that you have already installed.

You have already figured out how to set your $PATH environment variable to be able to use the 2018.09-03 version of the toolchain. However, that toolchain does not have the above libfdc directory. If you build any of the MIPS Open example programs that use the FDC (Fast Debug Channel), then you will need that directory. You can simply copy it into the corresponding location of your current toolchain.

Also, just so that you are aware: the toolchain can be installed at any location of your choice, as long as the appropriate directory is in your $PATH so that the programs can be found. The fact that the OpenOCD installer puts files into C:\Program Files\Imagination Technologies\… is a historical artifact. Eventually we will modify the installer to use a different location. So you don’t have to move any of the files that you have already installed, I just wanted to explain this fact.

I hope this answers all of your questions.

Z
Participant

Hi,

Really thank you for your detailed reply. I have completed all settings for the Codescape.

I also attached the files that will be used for instillation of Codescape. But the MSYS is too large to put here…

Best Regards,
Zhongzheng Wang

Attachments:

Forums are currently locked.